Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Oh, How I Love My Books...

I really do. Some days I'd go nuts if I couldn't give my brain the little break a book gives it. I gotta say, I love my Kindle as much as I love my iPhone, and that is a lot.

I am never ever without a book to read, and my current book is The Help by Kathryn Stockett. I wasn't too sure about it even with all the hype, but I am liking it so far. There are some things bothering me, but I am already halfway through it, so I'm gonna finish it.




ETA: Just finished it and I liked it. I expected much more, but it was entertaining. After the first half I could not put it down and had to finish it to see what would happen.

I liked some of the characters a lot, others not so much and I think it makes a truly horrific time for black people in the US, and particularly in Mississippi,  a little too... nice.

The ending was a little anticlimactic to me, cause I like my books to have closure. But that's just me. It felt like someone told her "OK, time to finish it",  and she did.

I don't think it deserves all the hype it's been getting, but it wasn't as bad as it's detractors say it is either. I enjoyed it quite a bit.

I'm kind of excited to see the movie. It's gonna be one of those cheesy, girly tearjerkers I love.

Happy day, pretties.

1 comment:

Lou said...

I loved this book! It was our first book club selection and I couldn't put it down. I finished it in about 2 days. I understand what you mean about the closure, but we came to the conclusion that since it was based on a time frame of true events, there was no closure at that time, and sadly, there still isn't in some parts. I'm really looking forward to the movie.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...