Sunday, September 28, 2008

Wow.

ETA: See here and here for more info. I have decided to do this, cause I have found more people defrauded by this person.
Thankfully I did NOT send her anything before...
Her name is Jennifer Starr and goes by jennystarr and stillsmiling on the message boards


That's all I have to say. I never thought I'd encounter one of those people you only hear about in everyone else's horror stories.

Back in March, I received an order for LOTS and LOTS of custom work from my jewelry line.

I made 6 necklaces, five bracelets, and 5 pairs of earrings.

LOTS. About $440.00 worth of it.

I was so excited to be getting request after request from this person for more pieces.

I used so many of my materials (silver, 14k goldfill, findings, stones, etc), but I knew that once I got paid for all the items I had made, I'd be able to replenish my supplies.

Fast forward 7 months, many unanswered e-mails, and a ridiculous $35.00 Paypal payment, and now it turns out that:

- she didn't really like the things
- I made the work without her asking for it
- I hid my prices from her.


WTF?

She didn't really like the things...???

OMG!!!! EVERYTHING IS ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS!!!!
You did a fanastic job!! Love it all!!!


Is there anything left of the multi-gems or the malachite? I would love some sort of a matching bracelet with the multi-gems... if there is anything left...


LOVE everything - so excited ....


She had no idea the bill would be so high...????

...two different necklaces one with chalcedony and the other with rose quartz or the green prehinite that you have used...


YES would love a bracelet!!! :)

Thanks for explaining the gold fill stuff - do you think the malachite would look better with the gold fill than the silver??


All quotes taken from her e-mails to me... (those grammatical errors are not mine).


Then she offers to start giving me $100 a month starting in September.
I figure it's better than never seeing a cent, right?

Well, September's come and gone, and not a cent.

Serves me right for doing the work without receiving payment BEFORE I started.

I thought she was a friend. I met her through a message board, and I really thought she could be trusted.

Um, not really!!!

I have refunded her $35.00 payment (for a more than $400.00 bill), canceled the Paypal invoice I sent her, and made peace with the fact that I got ROYALLY SCREWED.

I had to undo all the work (the stones she sent me to work with are not up to the quality standards that I use on my pieces) so, I cannot sell them on my shop, like she had the nerve to suggest.
I had to take it all apart, waste tons of silver and gold fill wire (which I cannot reuse), and also have to pay to send her stones back.


This sucks.

I needed to vent.

I hate doing this but I am really hurt. She's accusing me of making things without her asking, of hiding my prices from her, of making things she didn't like. All false.


Enough of this. I never want to make another post as awful as this one.

39 comments:

Rebekah said...

*Hugs*. Well considering I have three of your necklaces, two of your bracelets, and two sets of your earrings... I feel I am qualified to say that your stuff is AMAZING!! I was actually going to contact you soon about making me something else since the last black/silver necklace you made me has been worn every day for months and could probably uses a rest ;). Please don;t let one horrible person get you down girl.. you know you rock!

Kristii said...

I am so sorry that happened to you Anilu!! Your stuff is truly amazing and I am planning on ordering some more earrings for my daughters for Christmas once again!! They loved the earrings I bought for them last Christmas!! Rebekah is right! Don't let one person bring you down! Anilu you rock!!

Susan Beth said...

Sorry that happened to you. There are people out there who just do things that seem so . . . unbelievable and completely wrong, and it always hurts so much when we run across them unawares! But there are some good people out there too, and it sounds like you handled this in the most professional way possible. Good for you!

Nancywithajones said...

awwww Im so very very sorry this has happened to you. I cannot believe how some people act in this world. Keep your chin up and know that karma is very real. I so believe in the do unto others... GOlden rule.
Don't let this ruin your creativity and wonderful talent you have for making jewelry. So many people love your work. I know I love looking at it. Some day when Im healthy enough and dont have to spend so much on medications. I will be sportin some of it haha
Your work is absolutly gorgeous and you keep your head held high that you did the right thing.

Anonymous said...

Oh NO! Anilu, that really sucks. I'm so sorry you had such a bad experience :( Maybe she will pull through for you afterall...or at least send your jewelry back. big (((hugs)))

Anonymous said...

Oh Anilu I am sorry this happened to you, it is completely unfair.

mommy2alex said...

SOrry to hear that you had to go through this, that just stinks.
{hugs}

Carrie said...

How awful Anilu! I am so sorry!! I bought one of your necklaces for my sister last Christmas & it was stunning. I should have picked one up for myself. Please continue with your jewelry - you are so talented. Don't let 1 person spoil it for you. xo

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry, Anilu. Some people make me shake my head in disbelief. Good for you for taking the high road and being professional. Don't let this bad experience get you down, I love all of your work :)

waleska said...

this sucks Anilu! I'm so sorry you had to deal with it :(

Monica said...

Omg anilu, that is really terrible! I'm so sorry you had to experience that, and from soemone you know.. I hope you don't let it discourage you from continuing to make your gorgeous pieces. ((Hugs))

michelle.g said...

ugh. i hate coming across people like this who think nothing of it to waste your time and money. sorry you have to deal with this! hugs!

diana albright said...

that is horrible, anilu! i am very sorry it happened to you (and i wish i knew who it was). i am angry for you! but i am so glad you are coming to a point of peace about it. and even though i haven't been in a position to purchase, i think your work is stunning! you rock, anilu!!!

<3

Anonymous said...

OMG!!!!!!!!!
I am so sorry this happened to you - some people!!

Lauren said...

Some people are just awful and will do anything to lie and steal..Keep your chin up and don't stop making all your beautiful creations!

Anonymous said...

Grrr Anilu!!!! That totally sucks! Your jewelry is absolutely BEAUTIFUL! I have loved everything you've made and have had the pleasure of seeing so many of your pieces in person. I can't believe someone would do that to you Anilu. Please keep on creating. I agree with Rebekah...don't let one b!tch spoil it for you....hugs girly...

Greta Adams said...

umm i own several of your pieces...as a matter of fact i had what i like to call an "anilu christmas" last year and all i can say is your stuff is amazing and well worth every cent...geeez! i hate this happened to you love!!

vtpuggirl said...

I can tell how hurt you are by your post. Nothing is going to change that but time. You are a good and honest business person, and you have gone above and beyond here. You have no blame, no fault, nothing. This horrible customer bares it all. I hope that you will eventually be rewarded for your patience and artisanship.

Unknown said...

My dearest Anilu. Karma will get a hold of that lady and give her what she deserves!!! The nerve of some people. I can't believe that she would do this, but don't worry your stuff is beautiful and she is the one missing out.

Anne aka Anniescraps said...

Anilu, That is horrible! You didn't deserve that at all... sorry to hear of this. Your jewelry is beautful and we all know that. ((hugs)))

Ginny said...

I don't even know what to say, wow is right. I am so sorry you went through all that!

Denise said...

Anilu, I was so sorry when I first saw this on Facebook and I am even sorrier, because it was someone from SC. I guess from all the support/postive remarks you are getting from the previous comments you know your work is valued by your friends and I am sure by all your customers. I know the necklace I bought for a friend is cherished. Your works is stunning.

Wendy said...

i have had a similar experience, but just different circumstances, so I know how you feel. I just try and tell myself that people like these are just not nice people, and will go through life being always disliked. And they aren't worth worrying or even thinking about! There are some other lovely people here who really love your work!

Kelly said...

Oh Anilu - so sorry this has happened to you!!
Don't let it get you down girl. Your work is fabulous!

Barb said...

Seriously!?!?!?1
Who is this woman?

Sylvie said...

Anilu, I'm so sorry you have to go through something like this. I cannot understand people like her and I hope this bad experience will not stop you from creating your fabulous jewelry. Hugs.

Trish said...

I second Colleen! Really--I own a ton of your stuff and have also used it as gifts and I have NEVER had anything but wonderful things to say about you or your stuff. Her loss. Sorry you had to go through that Anilu!!

liz mataraza said...

how horrible. i have some friends back home who could 'take care of things' for you, if you like. the advantages of being a NY Italian.

i'm so sorry this happened to you. the worst is, she probably does this kind of crap all the time and doesn't think anything of it.

Anonymous said...

I am so so SO sorry this happened girlie!!! :o( (((HUGS)))

Balou said...

having seen your pieces up close and personal, i know she is full of crap. it's unfortunate that you had to experience that. i'm so sorry.

Tara said...

What everyone else said.
Don't you wish you lived a little closer to her? Like driving distance? Have it out "old school"?
Totally sucks that someone can actually get away with that.

Breanne Crawford said...

wow.... that is f'd up, anilu. cant you file a paypal dispute or something?! so sorry that happened to you!! you're nicer than i am. i'd mention names ;)

***Paola*** said...

Seriously? The nerve of some people!!!

LuzinhaFolch said...

Hi Anilu,
I was missing you then I decided to visit you here...
I'm sooo sorry to hear about what happened!
This sucks I know,but you are better and amazing than this.
And I wish that you'll sell much more from now on;)
Anyway dear I just want you to know that I really miss you.
xoxo
Lucy

Janine Langer said...

Oh, Anilu, so sorry to hear that you have to deal with such a bad experience! So hoping that she'll send the beautiful things back.
Hugs!

Ryzmomplus2 said...

totally sucks Anilu! I'm another fan of your jewelry and can't imagine someone having that response?

Sweet Peripety said...

um just wow. so sorry that happened!

Unknown said...

oh that is just awful!!!! so sorry you lost so much and to have been betrayed like that. que pesar la gente.

Gina Carvallo said...

Entiendo perfectamente tu enojo!!! Definitivamente nada funciona mejor que pedir anticipo para la ejecución de cualquier tipo de trabajo, que penoso para ella que la tengas que ventilar de esta manera pero creo que se lo merece!
Aprovecho para saludarte y decirte que disfruto mucho viendo tu blog y sobre todo tus trabajos!!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...